Benefits of joining a Realtor® Association
We often get asked by our real estate students about Realtor® associations, what they are and what the benefits are of becoming a member. Hopefully this post will give you a solid understanding of Realtor® associations.
What are Realtor® Associations?
- Realtor® Associations are trade organizations made up of licensed real estate professionals.
- The National Association of Realtors® -This is the largest trade organization in America. The core purpose of the National Association of REALTORS® is to help its members become more profitable and successful.
- Local and State Organizations - Aside from the national level association, there are also state and local organizations. For example there is a Utah Association of Realtors®. There are also local associations such as the Salt Lake Board of Realtors® or the Utah County Association of Realtors. Members are usually members of local, state and the national level.
What are the benefits to these associations?
- One of the greatest benefits that the associations of Realtors® bring to real estate markets is that the members adhere to a strict code of ethics and standards of practice. This promotes honesty and integrity in real estate markets, protecting the public and other licensees.
- Another huge benefit to these associations is access to Multiple Listing Services. Usually, in order to become a member of an MLS, agents must be a Realtor® or a member of a Realtor® Association. Agents will be able to list properties on the MLS for sellers, and have access to information about current listings and past listings for buyers.
What is the difference between a real estate agent and a Realtor®?
The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.*
To put is simply, all Realtors® are real estate agents, but not all real estate agents are Realtors®. It is not a requirement to become a Realtor® if you are a real estate agent, but there are many benefits to becoming a Realtor®.
If you feel like you are ready to become a Utah real estate agent and perhaps a Realtor® feel free to enroll in our real estate school or contact us today with any questions! We are happy to help you get started in getting your real estate license!