Benefits of joining a Realtor® Association
We often get asked by our real estate students about Realtor® associations, what they are and what the benefits are of becoming a member. Hopefully this post will give you a solid understanding of Realtor® associations.
What are Realtor® Associations?
- Realtor® Associations are trade organizations made up of licensed real estate professionals.
- The National Association of Realtors® -This is the largest trade organization in America. The core purpose of the National Association of REALTORS® is to help its members become more profitable and successful.
- Local and State Organizations - Aside from the national level association, there are also state and local organizations. For example there is a Utah Association of Realtors®. There are also local associations such as the Salt Lake Board of Realtors® or the Utah County Association of Realtors. Members are usually members of local, state and the national level.
What are the benefits to these associations?
- One of the greatest benefits that the associations of Realtors® bring to real estate markets is that the members adhere to a strict code of ethics and standards of practice. This promotes honesty and integrity in real estate markets, protecting the public and other licensees.
- Another huge benefit to these associations is access to Multiple Listing Services. Usually, in order to become a member of an MLS, agents must be a Realtor® or a member of a Realtor® Association. Agents will be able to list properties on the MLS for sellers, and have access to information about current listings and past listings for buyers.
What is the difference between a real estate agent and a Realtor®?
The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.*
To put is simply, all Realtors® are real estate agents, but not all real estate agents are Realtors®. It is not a requirement to become a Realtor® if you are a real estate agent, but there are many benefits to becoming a Realtor®.
If you feel like you are ready to become a Utah real estate agent and perhaps a Realtor® feel free to enroll in our real estate school or contact us today with any questions! We are happy to help you get started in getting your real estate license!
Agent Professor may earn affiliate commissions on links in blog posts.